Friday, August 25, 2017

Imperfect Elders

Under Construction sign
I'm organizing some thoughts on being an introverted elder and am starting with one basic point.

Elders are not perfect.

When a man becomes an elder, that does not automatically confer some extra measure of spiritual strength, wisdom, or love for neighbor. It does not grant supernatural ability to overcome weakness of personality and temperament. Elders remain sinners.

And, elders who are introverts will remain introverts. Being ordained doesn't confer gregariousness. Trust me. But introversion is not necessarily an imperfection. I'll have to pick up on that thought in the future, but for now it's enough to say elders are just as much "under construction" as anyone else. 


Knowing we are not perfect, I first encourage my fellow elders to accept the fact of imperfection but not the state of imperfection. We should strive to be holy (I Peter 1:15-16) to glorify our God and be an example to the flock, our fellow sheep.

Second, I encourage all to pray for your elders. Pray we would grow in those qualities we need to fulfill our office well. Pray we would pursue holiness and have strength to push through our weaknesses.

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment