Monday, October 9, 2017

New Babies - One of the Elder's Joys

photo of newborn
Our church has recently welcomed three new babies to our covenant families; two of those within the past two weeks. Both of those are in my shepherding group, so I had the joy and privilege of visiting them recently in the hospital.

My experience with visiting families as an elder is small. Most of these have just involved getting to know the people and praying with them. But, visits around newborns are different. You don't want to stay long, but you do want to see if everyone is well (including dad! but especially mom and baby). I prayed in particular that our God would bless these children with true faith at an early age. As a parent, that is my primary concern for my own children and I hope it is so for these families.

It's been several years since the last newborn in my family, but I remember the excitement and exhaustion. Of course, extended family is a huge support in those first few weeks. Let me encourage my fellow elders to come alongside these families also. Let them know their church loves them. Pray for them from the pulpit. Make sure folks are taking them meals. Even a brief visit is meaningful. The church should be loving on these families and children early. We are all sinners, even these little ones, and need the support of our church family to draw our hearts and minds to focus on our God and Savior. And, that extra chicken casserole someone brought is VERY welcome when you're too tired to think.

Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment