Wednesday, March 21, 2018

TBG: Answered Prayer

I'm starting a new series of posts that I hope will encourage you and myself. As my wife can tell you, I tend to be a pessimist (I prefer the term "realist") about life in general. Perhaps that explains why I'm amillenial in my eschatology. Anyway, I know my own nature is to dwell on failures and faults, but there is much good in the world God has made to be thankful for. Thus, I'm starting a series on Truth, Beauty, and Goodness or TBG for short. I hope to post about once a week on something that hits one or more of those categories to remind you (and myself) to rejoice and praise our God over those things.

For the first one, I want to share a brief story.

My oldest son has gotten fairly skillful at soccer. He's certainly better than I ever was and has developed some leadership skills. He enjoys it but this is the last year he'll be able to play in the local rec league. He gained in skill under his coach last year and enjoyed her style. Since it is the rec league, they assess the kids every season and try to spread the talent among the teams. You also get "pot luck" among the coaches. Anyway, because he really enjoyed his coach last year, he prayed to be assigned to that coach again - and he did!

And so, I rejoice that my son learned that God sees and hears, and does grant our petitions out of his goodness.

For the rest of us, perhaps that seems like a small prayer. Maybe it doesn't matter much in the grand scheme or it seems too small and easy for God to care about. Dear friends, all of our prayers are "too small" for the God who merely speaks and makes light, land, and llamas out of nothing.

I hope you are encouraged by the truth of the power of our God and by his goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment